Telcoe Member Security
Fraud and Scams
Phishing, SMishing, & Vishing
These are methods used by fraudsters to illegally gain access to data through phone calls, texts, and emails.
A recent example is the 'Can you hear me?' scam. This is to elicit a 'yes' response that the caller will then use for illegal or fraudulent purposes. You can read details on this through the Arkansas Attorney General's website here.
Suggestions to protect yourself from these types of scams:
- Let unknown numbers go to voicemail
- If the call is suspicious hang up.
- If it is your financial institution calling regarding your account, hang up and call them back on their main number.
- Your financial institution should never ask for your card number when they call you, as they already have that information.
- Do not click on unknown links provided in email.
- Do not click on links in text messages.
- Delete suspicious text messages
- Monitor your bank accounts, credit cards, and bills.
- Monitor your credit report
- There are many ways you can do this for free.